She wanted the likeness of 'ears' and the hat needed to be a big one.
I happen to suffer from a disappointing case of loose ribbing on hats syndrome so I tried smaller needles this time. Grafting the tube shut and flat gave it a subtle cat lurking under my hat appearance but nothing more, it's for a Dude.
I mowed down a whole 200 meter ball of wool and ended up with a Pope hat so I pulled it over my forehead and gave it a rip until I found the spot where the top would look better and applied a kitchener stitch close. It is inside out in this photo...wha!
After the corners got a good pat: 'voilà'! it looks like ears if you keep an open mind.
It fit Len and he thought it was great but maybe too scratchy...it passed the ears test.