Boutique

Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Yes Oui Yes Oui

Just getting around to blogging about the Vintage Hockey Jersey...




7 balls of Tove yarn to make a size XL pullover on 3.5 mm needles. Big enough to fit over a winter jacket or layers under a large hoodie. It was not easy planning for the extra ease, let me tell ya!

Pattern: loose adaptation of Elizabeth Zimmermann's Seamless Hybrid pullover from the Knitting Workshop book. (I highly recommend this book!)

Please see my Ravelry project page to read notes and visit the entire list of inspirational knitters that helped me by means of their notes and forum posts. I could not have done this without them.

I finished the second attempt on the wire...as promised, on the evening of the last game for Montreal vs. Boston in the playoffs, I cast off.

I will be forever known as the gal who ripped, frogged and reknit every damn project to within an inch of it's or my life!

I am done. Fini. Game over. The end.

Here's the history for anybody who cares. Before I became a yarn shop keeper, I was a lowly knitter. I got the bright idea to knit this sweater after seeing a Vintage inspired knit Hockey Jersey in a shop window at Christmas. HD and I drove for close to an hour to find a yarn store with the shade of red, white and blue skinny yarn required to knit this jersey. The bag full sat waiting for 2 years until I finally wanted to tackle the very vague Hybrid sweater pattern. After opening my yarn shop, the whole shebang got put on hold.

Only problem now, I still have enough yarn to make another smaller jersey for let's say, my son perhaps? That would be cute. The two of them out on the rink next winter with the to-die-for matching sweaters!! But for now, I will finish my version of the Shalom. I am so over knitting red yarn. That my dears was the first red yarn I ever knit. A whole lot of red yarn. Each ball went on and on forever. Skinny, picky stuff it was. HD won't be wearing it in the house for sure. It is very scratchy. I hope to soften it with a slight fulling session. The yarn is made for felting projects but it was THE shade of red we wanted. HD has been warned to never try to wash it himself. If I die, would somebody please help him keep this clean after I'm gone? Thanks!

4 comments:

Sel and Poivre said...

'Love a good story about an epic knit - that kind of tale always has a certain quality that a quick "I loved it so I ordered the yarn/pattern, knit it fast and so here it is" FO can never really have!

Congratulations!

Clamille said...

Quel beau travail Aline!!! Bravo!!!!
Clamille xoxo

nicole said...

I'd gladly volunteer to become the official hockey sweater cleaner in the unfortunate event of your demise, but let's all hope it never comes to that!

Congrats on getting it done!! It's awesome.

Iza said...

Milles bravos Aline! Enfin terminé, après toutes ces heures de tricotage et détricotage, quelle détermination et quelle patience. Je te lève mon chapeau! car finalement, tu termines toujours tes projets!