Boutique

Saturday, January 22, 2011

Promises Promises

Having enjoyed the warm fuzzy feeling of working on my nephews all wool stockinette stitch sweater last week, I decided to cast on another big HUGE mens pullover to keep me from succumbing to baking cookies or something.

I promised HD a Vintage style Habs (Canadiens de Montréal) hockey jersey before opening the yarn store and a promise is a promise. The ice rink at home has been such an ongoing great thing for Gage, his Dad and the dudes that join them for a match, it inspired me to try unventing a hockey jersey based on pictures of the original knit versions and EZ's Seamless Hybrid knitting formula. Wish me luck!

As it turns out, I am loving this much. It should be ready for the playoffs. HD is thrilled.

Remembering The Yarniads cool San Francisco Giants sweater last summer and how I wished I had my own sports team to knit up team-love coloured sweaters for....

I am not a hockey fan but my boys are and so game on cause I just wanna knit a sport themed sweater.

I used a Provisional Cast On to start with the intention that I would return later to knit up a cool contrasting hem at the end. A thing I've been looking forward to. I think a hem is a beautiful finishing touch. I actually find ribbed hems sort of tacky. The farther I got from the cast on, the more it curled and curled. Sort of a pain in the arse really because I kept trying to smooth it out to see my progress. HD asked me if it was always going to curl like that ??? No, no, no.... so this week, I woke up at 4 am when HD was leaving for work and decided to unpick the provisional end and start that hem already. The curl has left and it leaves me with a funny looking tube going in two directions...my customers raise their eyebrows and everyone thinks I'm either nuts or a genius for now.

7 comments:

nicole said...

I will just ignore the fact that the Habs just kicked my poor Senators' butts.

Can't wait to see the finished product! Lucky DH.

Donna said...

Wow you are really going to town with the knitting. Wish I could get my knitting mojo going.

clamille said...

Bon début!!!
Clamille xoxo

Brenda said...

Nuts or genius. A perfect description of a knitter.

Fabienne said...

Je n'ai pas tout compris, tu tricotes par les 2 bouts ? OK, j'ai hâte de voir ça, bon courage ...

Iza said...

Oh la la! quel beau projet! Mon père aimerait bien un tel cadeau. Toutefois, on dirait un tricot un peu compliqué... J'ai bien hâte d'en voir le résultat! Merci pour ta visite!

Hilary said...

That looks fantastic, Aline! I'm SO happy I could provide some team-love inspiration. :) :) And I totally agree with you about turned hems...they're slightly more work, but so worth it! I can't wait to see this finished hockey jersey!!