Boutique

Monday, January 10, 2011

Plein Air - Sentier du Lac Croche

This knitter made a rather fabulous discovery over the weekend. A trip to Montpellier where I spent hours cross country skiing my way around a lake called Le Lac Croche. The trail was not groomed and I was a bit nervous of getting lost, but the dude at the lodge said to stick to the right. So I did.


I followed a fresh trail of Coyote tracks for the first 30 minutes than not a soul had passed since the last snow fall. That was where the hill appeared and half way up I couldn't climb it crisscross style any more so I took my skiis off. All alone in the bush is not the time to get plucky. I have too many things to knit before I break my bloody neck just for having fun.

The scenic view of the sides of the hill were breath taking. That huge rock loomed straight up over my head. The picture doesn't have quite the same perspective I had in that moment of awe.

At one point from the trail, I could see the lake below where HD and Gazou were catching trout for dinner.
At the very top of the hill where I rested. Thankfully!
I didn't wake up expecting to see a mountain...what a lovely surprise that was. A gift for having stopped to rest after clawing climbing up a hill on skiis.

Coming back down the other side of said hill was another escapade I hadn't expected. I was warned of the rocks and not much snow so off came the skiis again for the same reason I took them off before...

Then I saw more tracks in the snow. BIG tracks this time. Was is bear? Then the signs started to appear here and there on the trees.

Bear, Moose, Deer
Hunting 2010
Please be a Sportmen

I saw a few of these signs but nothing to say how far away from the Lodge I was. It was getting late...
Then I came to a fork in the trail. One sign for skiiers said 13 km Lac Simon to the left. So I gladly stuck to the right....then at the bottom of yet another slope I discovered a big swamp and from there had to follow Moose tracks for a while. That my dears was when I:
1. Started to whistle.
2. Wished I had thought to bring our set of walkie-talkies with us.
3. Could really use a pint and a large poutine.

Then, I heard a VTT and heaved a sigh of relief. I must be getting close to the Lodge. Now come on!

We had crossed a bridge to get to the Lake and this was the beautiful view of it from the ski trail when I finally got my courage back.
Five minutes later, I ran into another skiier that said I was almost done but watch out for the pole bridge. He broke a pole on it once. He asked me if I had seen any animal tracks like Coyote or the Linx...? Linx...!! Uhhh, was that what THAT was? Apparently, there are Moose as well. I love Moose but would definetly NOT want to meet one while skiing.

When a got to the nasty bridge, I carried my poles in my left hand only to suddenly have one foot go south and the other west...I came down quick and hard. Hurt one finger and scared the crap out of myself when I nearly fell into the drinks (never mind the poles!)

This is where I took a flip...


Next week, if weather permits, I want to try the Lac Mulet trail and I am bringing the GPS. (beer and food too)

3 comments:

Donna said...

Wow what beautiful scenery! But it seems it's not safe to let you out alone... :)

nicole said...

Wow, that's quite the adventure! I've been skiing tons (almost every day since it snowed in the new year), but in the much less eventful Gatineau park trails.

Hilary said...

Ack! What an adventure! I'm so happy you made it back safe and sound, but that sounds a little scary there at the end....though a lot of fun, I have to admit. And quite gorgeous!