Boutique

Tuesday, December 15, 2009

i'd say maybe even crazy....


The snow I asked for has arrived but with it came a good dose of crazy...
My nearly-new beloved Saturn sedan had a wee break down last week. The same 'flu' symptom it had exactly one year ago. I was a bit worried and annoyed but thought it would be easy to fix since I thought I could tell the garage it was a repeat problem and would be given the service I needed. Wrong. Last Friday, I was late to open the yarn shop. (gasp! EEK!) One of my dearest customers was waiting on the step for me....very understanding and even offered to pick me up from the garage once I dropped off my car for a check-up. I had a busy day that day and the garage called several times to say they could not find anything wrong with the car. It started A1 all day and the fancy diagnostic computer said there were no problems...They promised to send a shuttle car over to the shop to pick me up after work...Nope! At the last minute they said the shuttle dude was off duty at 4pm and so I took the bus...
I froze half to death (which doesn't take long when you are this short) walking the few blocks from the point where the bus dropped me off and the dealership lot was...I climbed a fence to cut the journey and lost my scarf but that's another story...
I paid them 47$ CDN for having burned at least 5$ or more of my gas tank to tell me that they found nothing wrong with my car. Okay, I forked over my Visa and thought at least I know my car is in top shape than...yeah me!
I get to my car and it wouldn't start....
The problem is intermittent obviously...only when I really need to leave...

Meanwhile, back at the ranch, Len is slaving away like a mad man to deliver the latest log home to its owner before Christmas. The last thing we needed was for my car to break down. We are both self-employed with three kids, a dog, a cat, a bird, 5 chickens and no help.

Ivy turns 16 in a few months so Len decided to buy her a second hand car ahead of time that we could all use in the meantime in a pinch. We found a reliable Toyoto (no more Saturns thank you!) of which I had to pick-up in the afternoon of my day off. We get there and the owner had not put the winter tires on and we had to tow it out of the back yard to the drive way where we discovered a transmission oil leak. My head is spinning and I am freezing and Len pulls a MacGuiver (it took 2 hours) to patch the hose with a who knows what to get me home.
Len put winter tires on the front and let me swish and swail my way home on a snake trail I think is called Bob's Road in back of Perkins....I thought I would never make it for heavy traffic, hills and lakes...but I did. Once home, Len worked on the car in the shop until it was all set and he left at 5 am this morning to deliver the house....

When Len tried to put the new wipers on the old car, the first one broke. I was on my way to Canadian Tire anyways because Ginette from service à la clientèle called to say I had dropped a bunch of my cards and photos on the floor the day before and they tracked me down to let me know. I tried to return the broken wiper and they said the computer system was 'down' and they could not accept any returns.
So I am driving around with one good wiper...


To my amazement, I got a letter from Père Noel in the mail this morning addressed to me...I did not write him a letter so I am still confused about that one (maybe he does see EVERYTHING)...I gave it to my son and that made him a very happy camper and I had to explain that no he could not peel 9 carrots this morning to feed the reindeer next week...

Tried to warm up my lunch at noon today and the breaker shut me down...now I know that the microwave, toaster, fridge and washroom light and fan are all on the same circuit...great! Lucky for me the panel board is in my kitchenette since the landlady is rarely ever home. Dodged a bullit there. A friend happened to call to see how things were with me and gave me the exact advice I needed to find the right breaker switch in time so I could eat the second half of my pasta warmed...

I have just about had it with the more downs than ups lately so here is my latest knit...

Textured Shawl
by Orlane on Ravelry
needles: 5.5mm
Yarn: 2 skeins of Berroco vintage in lilac



Well....I am thrilled because a big box of yarn just arrived from Surrey B.C. and I have one skein of green Malabrigo lace left in the shop just in time to cast on the awesome new Knitty pattern Citron by Hilary!!! Just what I needed to cheer me up. Another one of those new patterns that come along and sweep you off your queue feet just like that.
I am really looking forward to my week off. I am going to sit around in my pjs eating samosas and watching goofy films with my kids. I hope the bay freezes over so I can head out on my skis to my trail in the woods...well, that's the hopeful plan anyways.

4 comments:

Jean said...

It was almost painful reading your account - poor thing. Look at the bright side - no injuries, no loss of yarn - so it could have been worse. Have a wonderful week off, I'm sure Poune will be ecstatic.

nicole said...

Ouf, if anyone needs a break, it's you! Enjoy your time off, it's well deserved!

Sel and Poivre said...

Oh I feel your pain - in my week this week I've had (expensive)car trouble, furnace trouble and a funeral and visitation. Last week I was at Canadian Tire making returns and purchases 5 times in 3 days. Hang in there and look forward to that week of peace - that's all we can really do!

Hilary said...

Ugh, terrible!! I wonder if there's something weird going on (Mercury in retrograde or whatever?) - I saw a good friend last night and she has been having some horrible luck this week, too, including an expensive car repair! It sounds like you have a great attitude about everything, though. Maybe it's because you have that GORGEOUS Textured Shawl to work on! It's so pretty and looks so warm, too.

I'm so happy you like Citron!!! :) :)