Boutique

Friday, September 25, 2009

Calling Mum...

I expected this to happen and am amazed it took 16 years but last night I needed to call my Mum and ask her a question. Since my mum passed away, I have carried around a feeling of dread for the moment I would come across a problem that required my moms help and it being too late for that, I would be on my own.

Enter Phentex Slipper Pattern....

My mum (and most Quebecois ladies for that matter) would crank out these slippers by the dozens. I remember being a little girl and asking my mom to teach me how to knit but this pattern (which was in her head and not on a piece of paper I could read) was the only knitting she was doing at the time. The technique of stranding the yarns was a bit much for me to comprehend as a beginner. So I never learned to knit Phentex Slippers.

I found the pattern on Ravelry and decided to make a pair using pure wool for the shop. I cast these on and then it happened. I thought to myself, if only Mum was here to show me how...again...

I think she answered anyway because a certain feeling of calm came over me and then I figured it out from memories of her and two balls of yarn dangling...

Thanks Mum! XX

The ever photogenic (not) Pounie! She always looks like such a tough cookie. Give me the jerky and nobody gets hurt...grrr!


And we decided to rename Toupette...We came up with Ichabird...as in Ichabod Crane from Sleepy Hollow. Ha!


P.S. I am kinda happy because I reconnected with some rather special people via Facebook lately...I love it! I have suddenly realized that I am a grown up...why didn't you tell me?

3 comments:

Jean said...

Isn't is wonderful that you got to relive your experience of your Mere knitting those slippers. By the way I will disagree with you about dear little Poune - she looks adorable to me and looks like she's thinking, why are you holding back on my treat? How is Ichabird adjusting? Tried any new treats for him? I think he would especially like the Cheerios.

Hilary said...

I know your mom answered you, I just know it! I need to look up that slipper pattern...I am intrigued by the blocks of color. And Ichabird...SO CUTE!

Sel and Poivre said...

Phentex was the staple yarn in our house in Ontario too! My mom is still with us but almost daily I think of something I'd like to ask/say to my Dad whose been gone just over 3 years.

'Can't wait to see the slippers finished!