Boutique

Friday, January 9, 2009

Ring-A-Ding-Ding!


Voilà - My version of the rib warmer adapted for a dude after much counting, ripping and knitting.
Yarn: Highland Heather Colour 700(4) & 733(1)
Needles: 5mm (US 8)
Tension: 5 sts = 1 inch (worsted Wt yarn)
Tech.: Garter stitch. Turn & wrap corners, neatening of wraps to avoid hole when adding a stitch every other row on corner.*
Pattern: An adaptation of the Rib Warmer from Elizabeth Zimmermann's Knitting Workshop

This pattern was written for ladies.
I adapted it to knit for my hubness.
He is alot bigger than this lady so I had to do the math. Gulp. I was successful and for that I am impressed but humble.
This pattern requires some sewing (I like that). You knit two pieces identical than join the two along the center back and at shoulders. I left a little 5 rib indent at the bottom just because I'm the boss of my sewing. See.
I modified the corners too. Turn and wrap all the way to the last 5 sts. *I picked up the wraps when increasing the stitch count back to the original number. This prevented a nasty hole every stitch. A little trick I learned from Lucy Neatby Dvd (gems). Love these Dvds and they are so very useful.
Those holes are pretty for a lady but I thought it was too lacey for a guy. The holes also made the fabric droop. Can't have that either.
The blueish yarn was a shopping mistake that I made into a design element. Cough. The colour is not too shabby and accents those nifty corners. Ta da.

The collar is my favorite element of the design.


Happy 45th birthday Len.

I am very pleased to have sorted out my lists on the sidebar. Not that anyone cares but me. I stayed up wayyy passed bedtime last night when there was peace and quiet and less competition for the internet. I stared, stalked and studied those HTML codes into submission. Very pleased.

2 comments:

nicole said...

Congrats on taming the vest and the sidebar. You showed them both who's boss.

Very nice!

Marie said...

Its my first visit ici! Your sidebar is impressive indeed!