Boutique

Saturday, January 17, 2009

No Longer 'Stranded'

Grass Creek Park Vest kit
By Mabel Corlett of the Wool Room in Kingston.
Needles: 3mm circulars
Buttons: Pewter ovals
Stranded colourwork. Applique stitch.

I had these buttons in my stash.
It was fun to look through them all and pick out the ones I thought were appropriate.
I realize now why my Mum used to ask me to pick out buttons for her sewing projects. She was very absorbed in all her work. It was indeed a way to keep me busy and stop bothering her. I could entertain myself in a button collection for hours. Such as last night. Now I get it. Thanks Mom. dejà vu

I sewed small buttons to the underside of the ribbing to stabilize the pewter ones. They have a tendency to wiggle around. Most of my photos had lopsided buttons...
I really wanted to model this knit myself. So many hours I poured into this. I have no camera man in that case. I had to enlist my teenage to take photos. They all turned out a little wobbly but I can't have it all.
This knit is done. Fini. I can die now. Hee.
The swatching has begun for the next ideas in my head but...
It will be a frosty friday before I take on another fair isle.
P.s. I wish now that I had taken a before photo of the curled ribbing. I did not want to share that mess with you. Now that blocking has become my BFF, I wish I had proof.

13 comments:

Susan said...

It's done, and it's *squee!* BEAUTIFUL!!! Well done, Aline. You should be SO proud.

Anonymous said...

Simply beautiful!! Well worth the effort! Just don't have that kind of patience anymore!

Paula said...

Beautiful! And it fits! Congratulations.

Walden said...

Very nice, I don't think I would ever have the patience to do something that intricate.

Mirjana said...

Beautiful vest! -36? It is very cold, I can't imagine that!

Sandrine Tricofolk said...

Bravo !! Ton gilet est fabuleux et valait bien tous ces efforts !!

The Fairy Shoemaker said...

You clever girl!
What patience you must have needed to get through to the end!
Bet you are pleased with the finished result, I would be!

Anonymous said...

Well pet whenever anyone or thing makes you feel stupid or lazy just pull out this vest! Only a genius with great patience could have knit this vest. Sis

nicole said...

Congratulations on getting it done! Fantastic!

Are you wearing it tonight???

Hilary said...

Congratulations!! It looks amazing! Good idea about the reinforcement buttons, too.

Jean said...

Really gorgeous vest, you are very good at Fair Isle. I loved the button comment and remember playing with my Mother's button jar (just never made the connection). I did take another look at Ravelry and I'm sure there is alot to discover. By the way this is one of the best vests I have ever seen!

Krystal said...

The vest is just beautiful! And thank you for the idea about the reinforcing buttons.

AlpagaLilly said...

Superbe!
Tu as fait du beau travail, félicitations! En passant, c'est jolie ta nouvelle coupe de cheveux.