Boutique

Friday, October 31, 2008

Knitted knicker chuckle

I am cranking away on my pinwheel. Round and round I go. It is rhythmic stitching is what it is. It soothes away the ache of thinking about fair-isling again.
Yesterday evening, I sat under me lamp for many hours trying to meditate into my stitching. Trying to relax because apparently I am getting old (when did this happen?) and my little body is getting cranky about it...
I looked down at my work only to completely crack myself up in a fit of the giggles.
All by my onesy at some odd hour of last night...
By George, I have knitted a knicker! When you hold this sweater like a bowl you get a pair of panties. Well-well. A very entertaining aspect indeed. Now I know how to knit 'em if ever I get cold enough and/or start to spring leaks! Which reminds me that my grandmother used to knit diapers for her children out of necessity for cold weather. Poor dear. She thought I was mad when I took up spinning and raising sheep. She was so glad to be rid of this chore when she could start to buy yarn for knitting back in the day. I suppose when you have to do something it takes most of the artistry out of it. Like mending pants when you would love to sew a skirt!

Look see! My beloved Bergamot wearing winter caps of icy snow. I was on my way to the compost heap when I spotted my dried-up lads sporting little hats.

Perhaps the fairies knit these for them?

The warmer weather is back again, however. Just in time for tricks and treats tonight! This year, Mum has trick and a treat for the wee folk. I bought the collector edition DVd of Nightmare before Christmas. Less candy you see and Ivy is a huge Tim Burton fan. Whatever Ivy likes is cool around here with the smaller two...
There I go again, winning the Mother of the Year Award. Boo!

4 comments:

The Fairy Shoemaker said...

Youve got snow... its not fair!!
I love the bottom picture with the plants in the forground wearing the snow like a crowd of little heads with white beanie hats on!
Wonderful blog, thank you, from Ren xx

Sandrine said...

Ah la neige n'est pas prête de tomber ici, les Noëls sont rarement blancs et ça me manque...
J'ai beaucoup admiré tes belles chaussettes aux couleurs bien gaies et vives, bravo ! Et puis ton Pinnwheel sera ravissant.

The Fairy Shoemaker said...

I have been tagged and I now youve been tagged! Visit my latest post to see the rules!

Anonymous said...

My middle daughter was born in 1991, not so long ago. I and the other mothers all knitted woolly knickers in garter stitch for our toddlers to wear over their disposables in the cold Swiss winter when playing outdoors - it was just considered a normal thing to do!! I used them on my youngest, too, born 1995, but my eldest daughter wasn't sure whether to laugh or not when I asked if she wanted some for her newborn son... ;o!!!