Boutique

Thursday, January 17, 2008

Method to my madness


Yesterday was one of those days...I had not slept much the night before and I woke up feeling like left over meatloaf. As soon as the wee folk were safely on the school bus I took myself outside for a walk and I found this hanging off the wood shed and it occurred to me that I am not the only one frozen this morning and kinda crooked. I must say that made me feel better. That and a visit to the bergerie where everyone is always happy to see me and they never complain about my cooking. Sweet sheep they are...

Oh but my head was hurting by late afternoon and I felt a pang of guilt about my sleeve...my new kit that still lurks in my wool closet...my sock in my backpack that needs a frogging and some TLC and my STR club is being shipped sometime after the 21st...eek. Not to mention bookkeeping...arrgh. Knitting takes the edge off I always say so after the dishes I plunked myself down with my sleeve and some St-Urbain and tried to forget that I am useless with sleep deprivation.


It wasn't many rows along until I had to adjust my spectacles and read my own notes about those pesky increases. In theory, the second sleeve should be a breeze because I have documented like a good girl and if I can read my own writing I should easily turn out a second sleeve that closely matches the first with a twist at the end which would distinguish left from right if all goes well. And then it happened... I couldn't understand the notes I had written for the first sleeve. Lack of sleep was not helping. I sat there for a long time trying to figure it out. Counting on my fingers...peering at my sleeve...reading the instructions five times...So much for that.


This morning, armed with a cup of strong coffee I scrubbed the kitchen table and had a meeting with my sleeves and notes. Determined to not let math get me down I was convinced I had a solution. The sleep fairies brought method to my madness... Well would you look at that? It was there the whole time...I was reading the first line the wrong way and now it all makes sense. I am amazed at how stupid weird I am.


By the way, I slept like a rock last night.

1 comment:

peaknits said...

Isn't that "doh!" moment great though - when you can get it and move on?! Love that you had a meeting with your sleeves - glad you won! They look wonderful!